I Knew I Would Make It. || Abeiku Okai Poetry


Dedicated to the love of my life, Baaba Okai.


I knew I would make it

I just didn't know how

The journey had been too long - rough and tough 

I even thought I was unfit

Yeah, this very thought almost knocking me out 

Like an amateur boxer against a professional -

I only held on a little more

My head wobbling

My weakening body receiving ceaseless blows

My sight losing glows

My brow bleeding

And my broken lips and teeth, severely shivering 


But I held on a little more again and again

And again a little more

Though for too long a time there was still nothing to gain


Then a little more again I tightly held onto the sycamore

 just to catch some breath from the hopelessness of watching my fellows leaping and bouncing ahead

-  those behind even racing past me as if I were under the curse of sasabronsam


My pillow was drenched in tears 

when I was alone in my fears

But I held on a little more 

Even when suicide whispered

I still held on a little more


- still a little more

Despite societal mockery deepening my sore


Then one day, on the verge of my frustration the stone Odomankoman Nana Nyankopom threw for me reached its destination


It was like the sudden strike of a match lit 

It turned all my darkness to light

Reviving all my might 

Ending the endless fight for liberty against poverty 


Prosperity has finally come 

Rushing with joy like a broken dam

Sweeping ahead of all who before me rushed


Then I looked into the blue sky to ask Odomankoman Nana Nyankopon: 

- why the long wait

- why the long pain

- why the long struggle

- why the failed attempt upon failed attempt?


It was then that Odomankoman Nana Nyankopon said,

Holding on a little more is the faith destiny requires 

Holding on a little more is the signature of a true future

Holding on a little more is the unsung melodies of true heroes


Can we all 

hold on 

a little more?

Yes, we can. 


Abeiku Okai

6/09/21

Senya Beraku

Comments

Popular Posts